Carrot and ginger soup recipe
You can’t beat a warming soup during Autumn, and it’s especially great served in big bowls and mugs after trick or treating on Halloween, or snuggled around bonfires on the 5th November. This carrot and ginger soup recipe is super easy to make and packed full of healthy flavours.
You will need…
1 kg carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
1-litre vegetable stock
1 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 cm fresh ginger grated
2 tsp ground cumin
400ml reduced fat coconut milk
Salt and pepper
Handful vegetable crisps
Here’s what to do…
1. Place the carrots and vegetable stock in a saucepan and heat for about 20 minutes until carrots are tender.
2. Meanwhile heat the oil and gently cook the chopped onion, garlic and ginger until soft. Stir in the cumin, season and add to the carrots that are cooking.
3. When cooked, stir in the coconut milk.
4. Liquidise the mixture until blended, but still leaving a texture and season.
5. Serve in bowls/mugs, topped with vegetable crisp, and toasted sourdough.
Whilst stocking up in Ikea recently getting ready to pack my daughters back off to Uni, I came across these awesome deep bowls which I’ve become slightly besotted about – you can’t buy them online, but here’s the link to check if they are in your local store.
Prepare ahead to end of stage 4. Reheat when required and top with vegetable crisps.
Try adding a little orange juice, and/or chopped coriander stems for an alternative flavour.
New online luxury homewares brand Lizard Orchid has some fab stoneware – I love this olive dinner plate – perfect for the winter season ahead.
If you’re gearing up for half term this weekend, pop this recipe on your to-do list as it’s a firm family favourite in our house. We are off to the beach in Cornwall for some windswept walks and surfing in the rain – here’s hoping you have a great weekend.