Cod, spinach and green lentil dhal recipe
This weekend as the temperatures take a plunge we’re bringing you a yum richly flavoured dhal with our cod, spinach and green lentil dhal recipe. Prepare the dhal ahead and simply reheat before cooking the fish. A wonderful recipe for dark winter nights!
You will need…
200g green lentils
1.5 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 handful chopped coriander stalks…leave the leaves whole
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2cm piece fresh ginger grated
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ground cumin
Half green chili deseeded and chopped
400ml half fat coconut milk
Juice and zest of half lemon
120g fresh spinach leaves
4 boneless/skinless cod fillets
Cutest herb block by Designers Guild – fab festive gift for a foodie!
Here’s what to do…
- Put the lentils in a pan with 800ml water, heat for 20 minutes until tender and drain
- Heat Half tsp of the oil, and gently fry the onion for 5 to 10 minutes. Add the coriander stalks, garlic, ginger, cumin seeds, ground cumin and chili and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, coconut milk, lemon zest and 1 tsp lemon juice. Season and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach leaves and keep warm.
- Sprinkle the fish with the remaining lemon juice and grill for about 10 minutes.
- Serve the cod on the warmed lentil dhal, and scatter with coriander leaves.
Prepare the dhal ahead to end of stage3. When ready to serve, continue from stage 4.
Fantastic served with warmed naan bread.
Click the images below to shop the lovely Designers Guild kitchenware we featured in this post.
Style Tribe Quiz
Try our Style Tribes quiz to help figure out your Style ID
tribes quiz - sign up to download