Speedy Apple and Vanilla Tart
This week is all about creating a delicious dessert with the minimal of fuss…it has to be the Speedy Apple and Vanilla Tart. What could be easier than unrolling ready prepared pastry, scattering with zesty apple slices and throwing in the oven? 25 minutes later and out pops your impressive dish that’s full of flavour but light to eat as its base is thin.
If you need a quick and easy pudding that’s ideal for sharing? Look no further than this apple tart!
You will need…
320g pack of ready rolled all butter puff pastry
5 large eating apples – Cox, Braeburn, or Russets
25g Butter cut into small pieces
2 tsp Vanilla extract
2 tbs Caster sugar
3 rounded tbs Apricot preserve
What you need to do…
1. Unroll the pastry onto baking paper and place on a baking tray.
2. Peel, core and thinly slice the apples, place in a bowl and mix in the juice of 2 lemons and the vanilla essence.
(lemon juice prevents the apples from discolouring).
3. Spread the apple slices over the pastry in a random manner, leaving a small margin around the edge.
4. Pinch the pastry around all edges to form a frame.
5. Place the cubed butter on top of the apple slices, and sprinkle with caster sugar.
6. Bake in oven at 180C for 20-25 minutes.
7. When cooked heat the apricot jam with 2 tbs water and brush over the top of the apples and pastry to create a glaze.
8. Best served off the baking paper straight from the oven.
Serve with vanilla ice cream, thick double cream or crème Fraiche.
Prepare ahead of time to stage 5, cover with cling film and place in the fridge.
Pop in the oven during your main course to then serve hot from the oven.
This is one recipe that I tend to use in an emergency as I always have the ingredients around, and I know is a favourite with my family and friends. Perfect for after a Sunday roast when you’ve not quite got around to thinking about a desert! Happy Cooking!!
Style Tribe Quiz
Try our Style Tribes quiz to help figure out your Style ID
tribes quiz - sign up to download