Ascot hat…the hunt is on.
It’s Royal Ascot this week, which means the hunt for an Ascot hat is about to reach fever pitch. Luckily I’d had the whole Ascot thing in mind way back during London Fashion Week and was slightly hat obsessed when I worked my way through the Designer Showrooms. One designer who really grabbed my attention was the inimitable Stephen Jones Millinery. So when I happened upon his store in Covent Garden during a recent spate of press days, it would have been churlish not to pop in for a nosey around.
When looking for an Ascot hat it’s really like being a kid in a candy store. There were so many fab and crazy items to try on, that I had to rope Amanda in as my hat model to help out.
Ascot hat… how to find the right one for you.
I’d always imagined myself as an Andie MacDowell type in Four Weddings & a Funeral, simple monochrome chicness with a showstopping titfer on top. Sadly when you throw in my lack of height and smallish frame, a vast chapeau is not a good look. So I thought I’d follow my own advice and take heed of a few golden rules when picking my Ascot hat.
- First up, if you have an oval or triangular shaped face – you have been blessed with the perfect hat/face combo – anything will suit you so knock yourself out.
- More of a long face? Try hats with wider brims which sit low on the forehead and shorten the length of your face.
- Round face? Look for a more asymmetrical hat. The natural symmetry of your face will play well against a quirky angle.
- Square face? Road test a rounded crown to soften the angles of your visage. Think wider brims and floppy styles.
- Small face? It’s all about keeping your proportions right. Don’t choose hats with brims wider than your shoulders or you will be swamped.
So here’s the hat I plumped for being carefully packed away…not to be seen again until its outing this week…
If you’re heading to Royal Ascot this week or just looking for more hat inspo for a wedding or event this summer season, have a click through the choices below…
Style Tribes Quiz
Try our Style Tribes quiz to help figure out your Style ID
tribes quiz - sign up to download