Boeuf Bourguignon – perfect weekend comfort food.
Casserole dish from Divertimenti – similar here
I’ve just got back from skiing, so this week’s recipe is totally inspired by all that comfort food we were treated to in our cozy chalet in Val D’Isere after a blissful day on the slopes. This simple boeuf bourguignon is a fantastic dish to cook for a large group. It can be prepared up to 2 days ahead of time, or even earlier and frozen.
You will need…
1 kg braising steak cut into medium sized chunks
1 bottle Burgundy wine
20 shallots, peeled
230g smoked diced pancetta
110g button mushrooms washed
1 med onion, sliced
2 tbs plain flour
2 bay leafs
1 handful fresh thyme
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
3 tbs Olive oil
Salt and Pepper
Here’s what to do…
- Put the seasoned flour in a plastic bag, add the cubed meat and shake to cover each piece of meat with flour.
- Heat half the oil and gently brown the meat, putting it a casserole dish once finished.
- Add the remaining oil and gently fry the sliced onions, shallots, button mushrooms, garlic and pancetta. Add to the meat, making sure that all the juices are added from the frying pan.
- Pour the bottle of wine over the meat, add the bay leafs and thyme and stir.
- Put the lid on the casserole dish and cook at 140 C for 2 hours, stirring halfway through.
- Add additional seasoning if required. Serve with crushed potatoes, or wholegrain rice and green beans or a crisp salad.
Great prepare ahead dish
Keep it simple and go carb free serving with a simple crisp green salad.
Perfect served with our Dauphinois potatoes (grab that recipe here) or mix some pesto or wholegrain mustard into your mash potato for an alternative flavour. (see below)
Style Tribe Quiz
Try our Style Tribes quiz to help figure out your Style ID
tribes quiz - sign up to download