Chicken with apples and cider recipe
The autumn flavours in this easy chicken in cider recipe work really well served with MFF mustard or pesto mash and seasonal vegetables. It’s perfect for wet weekends like this weekend and for sharing amongst friends and family.
You will need…
500ml bottle apple cider
8 skinless and chicken thigh fillets
2 tsp ground Allspice
3 small Cox apples, cored and cut into wedges
150g Shiitake mushrooms, washed and sliced
100g white mushrooms washed and slice
4 tbsp double cream
Salt and pepper
1 handful baby spinach leaves
Here’s what to do…
- Pour the cider in a saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer until reduced by half
- Roll the chicken thighs in the allspice and a scattering of salt
- Melt half the butter in a large deep sided frying pan and fry the apple wedges and mushrooms until soft and golden. Remove from pan, drain and keep warm on a plate.
- Melt the remaining butter and fry the chicken pieces until lightly browned. Stir in the reduced cider and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and cook gently covered for 20 to 25 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Return the apples and mushrooms to the pan, add the cream and season.
- When ready to serve add the spinach and stir until wilted.
Add chopped Tarragon to the recipe for a slightly different flavour.
Prepare ahead to the end of stage 4 if you are after a recipe which you can prep and then head back to.
Not averse to the odd tipple, we cracked open a bottle of delicious Mayfield Midnight from Sussex Vineyards as we road-tested my recipe.